June 19, 2011

The Journey From Writer to Author

After eleven months of work, ENCHANTMENT is finally for sale at Amazon, and already has a five star review! (Thank you Kris!)

This is a major milestone for me and I'm excited to share the news. I've been a writer for several decades and a "real" writer for a little over three years, but now I'm officially an author. BIG difference.

Charlotte Abel Definitions:

writer: a person that intends to communicate with others via the written word.
real writer: a person that invests time and effort into getting those intentions out of their brain and into a shareable format.
author: a person that makes those words available to the public.

My journey to authorship began back in high school, under the guidance of Mary BeeBe, a gifted, creative writing teacher. She instructed, encouraged and challenged all of us. And at the end of the year, she published our angst-riddled short stories, poems and essays. I still have my copy. (And no, I won't share it with the world. I was seventeen, in love and broken-hearted ... and it shows.)

I still remember the thrill of holding that simply bound paper anthology and reading my own words. I also remember the gut-wrenching feeling of trepidation when I realized that everyone else could read those same words. This wasn't a surprise. I'd submitted the stories and poems myself, but until I saw the physical proof, it didn't feel real. Only my closest friends knew how much of myself I'd revealed, but I still felt exposed. And years later, I still do.

ENCHANTMENT is a work of fiction. It is not autobiographical. I am not Channie. I did not experience the same events she did, (except for swimming at the bauxite pit) but I've felt the same emotions. I'll never forget the joy and wonder of falling in love for the first time -- or the hollow-chested agony of a broken heart. I've been scared out of my mind, jealous to the point of insanity, and filled with such yearning I couldn't breathe. So, yeah, I feel naked once again now that my words are available for the whole world to read. But I want them to be read. I want to connect with others and share my stories. I want to read and experience their stories too.

Maybe that's what it really means to be an author ... sharing your dreams and hurts with the world, magnifying the joy and hope, while diminishing the pain and disappointment through shared experiences. But even if there is no magical connection between me and my readers, if all I manage to do is provide a few hours of entertainment, it's enough.

You can find ENCHANTMENT, a paranormal romantic coming of age thriller  at Amazon I hope you enjoy it and if you do, I'd love for you to rate and review it on Amazon's site. Feel free to leave comments here as well. I'd love to know what you think.

6 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I stopped by to thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I started reading your blog, and I just wanted to say that the cover for Enchantment is gorgeous!

    Is it available on B&N as well (I have a Nook)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tiffany. Thanks for reading and posting! I'm glad you liked the cover art. It was a long but rewarding process.

    I'm going to have to submit to Smashwords to get Enchantment on B&N and iTunes. I'm working on it ;-) would you like me to let you know when it's available?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charlotte.

    Yes, that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tiffany,

    I don't remember if I contacted you or not (things have been CRAZY since "Enchantment" went live). It is now available at B&N so you can get it for your Nook.

    If this is old news, I apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on becoming an author. It is wonderful to see a dream come to pass for someone who has stuck with the vision. I've really enjoyed your blog, and will be back for more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jo! It's been quite an experience. I taped a video interview about the process last month. Posting it is on my ever-expanding todo list. Getting the print edition of "Enchantment" finished is taking longer than I expected.

    ReplyDelete