January 18, 2012

Yes, I'm a Mess: Pre-launch Jitters and Other Nonsense

As you all know by now, I’m a total mess. I am determined to launch the second book in The Channie Series on January 27. I’ve gone through a series of different titles and covers in the past two weeks and have finally settled on “TAKEN” for book two.
Why on earth did I change the title yet again? That’s a valid question with a simple answer. The quality control experts at the Indie Book Collective hated the title “Empty” and have already turned down “Finding Valor.” (The titles, not the books!) 
It breaks my heart to lose “Finding Valor” but if it means more people finding and reading the books, that’s all that really matters.
The original cover art I submitted did not pass IBC’s quality control either so I launched a design contest at 99Designs, a crowd based website where designers compete for the job. 
There wasn’t much activity the first couple of days, so I panicked and created a new cover myself. So far, I like my own design best, but recent entries are looking good.
Check out what’s been submitted. Compare it to my cover art and let me know what you think!
 If I don’t pick a winner for TAKEN, maybe I’ll find a good designer to do the cover art for the final book (tentatively titled “Heartbound” although you can bet that’ll change before publication this summer). Just kidding. Sort of.
Back to TAKEN’s status … My beta readers responded like super-heros to my panicked plea for immediate help and got their responses back in record time. I’m currently making the changes inspired by their sharp eyes and fresh perspectives. (It’s amazing what you can miss on the sixth read through!) I hope to finish all edits by the end of the week, finalize the cover art and product description and get that book online on time!
By the way … I still need a couple more “quotes” for my product description on Amazon, so if you’ve read even a part of TAKEN and have an exciting comment you’d like to share … please do it!

12 comments:

  1. I like the cover you did best, BY FAR! But I liked the one you had a few days ago, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so sweet, Nancy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like 37, & 38

    I also like 16 but I am a sucker for black, white, and red

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love #16 too! But I'm afraid it won't show up against the dark grey background of the new Kindle Fire. There's no point having a gorgeous cover if no one can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. okie dokie... so I really like the pretty picture up at the top, and I like #16 & #31 :) (#38 & 42 are alternates) but I think now that I am beta reading, I like the new title, but then again I am still only toward the beginning :) hahahaha but I think you should do what your heart tells you to do, because no matter what we like, it's your book and no one has a connection like the writer, and if you don't like it, we won't like it either :) I have lots of faith in you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for checking it out. The more input the better. But I must say your faith in me touched my heart! Thank you Maghon!

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your cover at the top. I think it goes well with the New Enchantment cover. That's my two cents. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Er... that should read "...new Enchantment cover..."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks K.C. If I go with the professional cover for TAKEN, I will need to work with the designer and upgrade ENCHANTMENT's cover as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My marketing team and I selected a winner at 99Designs! (#122) It was a hard decision since there were so many awesome designs but this one looks exactly the way I picture Channie. Thanks everyone for you input!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charlotte - I LOVE the cover that won. It's amazing. =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, RaShelle! I've always admired EXILED's cover. Which reminds me, I need to write a review. I finished it right before we moved TAKEN's release date up a month. That's my excuse anyway.

    Any news about a sequel? I can't wait to see how Michael handles Venus' world.

    ReplyDelete