April 19, 2012

Confession is Good for the Soul; Hard on the Ego

I need to make a confession. The author portraits I’ve been using aren’t exactly recent photos. They’re only a couple years old … maybe three … okay four ;-) But a lot can happen in a few years -- especially when those years have been spent sitting on one’s butt in front of a computer for ten to twelve hours a day. I have a feeling the steady diet of Snickers and Cherry Pepsi didn’t help much either. 

My son say's my photos are false advertising, but since I'm happily married and not looking for a date I didn't think it mattered. I just found out it does.
Most of you will never meet me in person. I could have easily kept using the same old photos well into the next century -- and I probably will. Hey, it works for Danielle Steel. But my short story prequel to “Enchantment” was recently accepted into a prestigious Young Adult Anthology (more info coming soon). 

The publisher requires a “professional studio head shot” of each author. 
I could crop my existing photo, but it would still be an outdoor shot with boulders, evergreens, clear mountain streams and waterfalls in the background. That’s not what they want. They want a portrait of the author shot in front of an uncluttered, pristine background. And they want it tomorrow.
Luckily, one of my best friends is a professional photographer. She specializes in senior portraits, sports and event photography so she’s well qualified. I called her in a panic, she worked me in this morning and gave me the files this afternoon. Thank you Carol! 
So … here it is. The “real me.” Except, the real me is usually wearing sweats, no makeup and a baseball cap ;-) but this is as real as it’s gonna get for now. 


If you’re in the Boulder/Denver area and need professional photos, check out Carol Burkett at  Superior Imaging. And tell her I sent you.

That's it for now. I'll send out a newsletter when the anthology is published and announce it here as well. I can't say much about it yet, but Hunter has quite a bit of "screen time" in this story ;-)

4 comments:

  1. hahahahaha that's so funny! No worries, I think I like the people who wear sweats & no make up! as for worrying, I think you look just fine the way you are! :) Besides, your books are great! that's all that matters :) congrats on the good news... can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maghon! I can always count on you to make me smile ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great portrait! Carol is amazing. Next time I visit I'll have to schedule a session... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are lovely as you are, Charlotte. And a lovely person too, I think. Thank you muchly for the copies of your books. :) I'd already read them, but now my fiancé will be reading them too.

    ReplyDelete