September 03, 2012

Even Better in Person


You know how sometimes when you get to know someone online, they don’t quite measure up in real life? Well, I’ve had just the opposite thing happen this weekend at the Decatur Book Fair.

I’ve been stalking indie rock stars Nancy Straight, Amy Bartol and Shelly Crane online for about a year. And while their online personas are amazing, when you meet them in person, they’re freakin’ awesome.

I recently started following Heather (Supagurl Blog Tours) and Tess Watson (My Pathway to Books), so I didn’t “know” them quite as well as the others, but OMG these girls are hilarious! And super supportive of indie authors. If you aren't following their blogs yet, you need to go sign up right now! (And tell them I sent you ;-)

After the fair closed, about twenty of us invaded The Brick Store Pub for supper. We were already a rather noisy and rambunctious group, but when Fisher Amelie walked in with Michelle Leighton and announced that Michelle’s book “The Wild Ones,” had just landed on the New York Times Best Seller list at number 34 -- the whole place exploded with cheers and applause. It gave me goosebumps! Michelle is such a sweet, humble person it was a joy to share this milestone with her.

 Left to right: Shelly Crane, Georgia Caits, Gloria "Globug70", Adam Kunz, Michelle Leighton, Amy Bartol, Kris Kendall, Carol Kunz

None of this would have been possible without my publicist and dear friend Kris Kendall. I'm too introverted to do this on my own. She even stopped over in Denver to pick me up so I wouldn’t have to fly alone. I learned how to talk to people about my books just by listening to her do it. It was an exhausting, but fun experience and I look forward to doing it again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment