September 13, 2013

Sanctuary: Jonathan's Song by Charlotte Abel for River's Recruit

One of the highlights of UtopYA this summer was the live performance of original music written by Amanda Havard for Chelsea Fine’s “Archers of Avalon” series, Quinn Loftis’s “Grey Wolves” series and Amy Bartol’s “Premonition” series.

I wish I had links to all the songs because they were so beautiful and inspiring. I decided while wiping the tears from my eyes that I wanted a song for my series, too.

Musical lyrics are essentially poetry. I can write poetry. If you’ve read “Enchanment,” “Taken,” or “Finding Valor,” you’ve no doubt noticed that all the spells and instructions from “The Book of the Dead” are written in poetic form. Therefore…I can write lyrics.

But that’s only half the equation. For it to be a song, the lyrics need music. And I am not the least bit musically gifted.

I took piano lessons for five years but can only play with my right hand. I took guitar lessons for three years and can play a stilted, awkward rendition of “Dust in the Wind.” I played saxophone in junior high but I was always last chair. I even played the Irish whistle in church once, but was not asked to play again. I can read music, sort of. But I can NOT sing.

Anyway…I felt inspired to write a song for “The Sanctuary Series.” I could even ‘see’ the music video in my head.  But without music and someone to sing the words, “Jonathan’s Song” was doomed to be nothing more than a figment of my imagination.

Fate intervened. I stumbled upon a gifted musician willing to collaborate and “Jonathan’s Song” is the result.

The music video isn’t quite what I imagined, but I’m happy with it. For now.

If there’s enough interest, I’d like to host a contest for indie videographers. Be sure to leave a comment if you’re interested and forward this post to anyone you think might be interested. I need at least ten entries to make it worthwhile. If I get ten entries, I’ll award a $100 to the winner. If there are more than twenty entries, I’ll make it $200. I’ll post links to all the entries on my blog and let ya’ll pick the winner by popular vote.

It was written for River's Recruit, Book One of The Sanctuary Series by Charlotte Abel available at Amazon: http://bit.ly/RiversRecruitAmazon or BN.com: http://bit.ly/RiversRecruitNook

Also download the Prequel, Down the Rabbit Hole by Charlotte Abel for free at Amazon: http://bit.ly/RabbitHoleCharlotteAbel or BN.com: http://bit.ly/RabbitHoleNook

Anyway…

Here’s  “Sanctuary: Jonathan’s Song
(If you like it, please be sure to click the ‘recommend’ button and leave a comment ;-)




Lyrics:
Broken and buried in an avalanche of pain.
I’m forever stained. 
Grief and guilt are crushing me.
Shelter me.
Please, shelter me. 

Eyes shine bright with a violet light
But the white wolf calls you tonight.
Heart to heart and skin to skin
Make me believe I’m whole again.

Cut away my scars with blades of steel.
Cure the unseen wounds that never heal.
Bind them up and stay with me.
Let the white wolf run free.

You’re my sanctuary. You’re my safe haven.
You’re the only reason that I’m still breathing.
Don’t leave me alone tonight.
Shelter me. Please, shelter me tonight.

My dreams drag me back to a hostile land
Where hero’s blood soaks the desert sand.
Afraid and alone with no way home.
Shelter me. Please, shelter me.
Please, shelter me.

You’re my sanctuary. You’re my safe haven.
You’re the only reason that I’m still breathing.
Don’t leave me alone tonight.
Shelter me. Please, shelter me tonight.


And, if you'd like to purchase a copy of the song, you can find it now at: 
www.cdbaby.com/Artist/CharlotteAbel and soon on itunes and spotify.

No comments:

Post a Comment